Santa Barbara Youth Council is recruiting members!0
The City Council established the United Youth Empowered in 1994 which became the Youth Council in 1997. Both the United Youth Empowered and the Youth Council were created to function as a voice for teens by facilitating youth forums, youth publications and planning teen activities. For many years, the Youth Council functioned as an advisory board for Teen Programs, the Parks and Recreation Commission and City Council.
The Youth Council has served as a youth voice on the creation of city policies and the coordination and development of facilities and activities for teens in the community.
- Represent community youth to ensure their concerns, issues and viewpoints are presented.
- Identify concerns, interests and needs of Santa Barbara youth and make recommendations to the City Council, Parks and Recreation Commission and Parks and Recreation Department staff.
- Promote and encourage youth interest and participation in community affairs.
- Gather youth and community input through civic engagement activities. Create and/or support opportunities for public discussion through forums, meetings, workshops and conferences. Share information gathered and make recommendations as appropriate.
- Collaborate and/or engage with other community agencies, advisory bodies or youth groups in areas of mutual concern and benefit.
- Recommend to the City Council, various city departments and agencies, as appropriate, changes in procedures, policies and/or legislation pertinent to youth in the Santa Barbara.
More information: http://www.santabarbaraca.gov/gov/brdcomm/nz/sbyouth/default.asp