Choosing Quality Child Care0
Choosing a child care provider is one of the most important decisions parents will make. The way children are cared for shapes their development and gives parents peace of mind while at work or school. Parents will want to choose a caregiver who understands children and nurtures their child’s learning.
Here are some tips to help you find quality child care:
- Start early -Learn about child care, find the most appropriate caregiver, and get on waiting lists very early.Do some research – Contact the local Children’s Resource and Referral Program – ask about the different types of child care programs.
- Ask friends and co-workers which sites they take their children to.
- Be a partner – once your child is enrolled, talk often with your child’s caregiver about your child’s likes and dislikes, health and development.
Visit and interview caregivers.
- Is the caregiver licensed?
- Does the caregiver look like she/he is enjoying their work, and the children in their care are happy?
- Are they trained in child development?
- Does the caregiver speak to the children, even babies?
- Do they sing and read to the children?
- How does the caregiver feel about discipline? Weaning? Toilet training? Feeding?
- Do the caregiver’s beliefs match your own?Is the environment clean and safe?
~Submitted by First 5